Sunday, December 5, 2010

A Change of Heart (posted by mom)

We are loving it out here in Douliu. My new is from Hawaii and he is a midshipman from the Naval academy. He is a million dollar missionary. We work well together and he has a strong self-will and determination.

I want to tell you about a special experience I had just yesterday night. We went to go visit our beloved Chen baba who we have not been able to get a hold of for a long time now. He was really "buhao yisi" (embarrased) because he had made a decision that he didn't want to change or join the church. We expressed our love for him and re-taught some things that he had forgotten. We found that he had not been reading and praying recently.

I felt inspired to share two passages of scripture that were focused on his concerns. Then my companion pulled out a picture of his family and told Chen baba, with tear filled eyes and a sob in his throat, about how his dad was converted at the age of 19. He told of how the thing he most appreciates of his dad was his decision to join the church. I'm so grateful for this experience. Even if I would have found a scripture that was personally addressed to this Brother Chen, it wouldn't have had the same effect or spirit that was felt in those sacred moments of my companion's testimony. I felt the spirit and believe Chen baba's heart was softened.

Love you all --Elder Spencer Harris