Saturday, June 25, 2011

My First Week In BeiQu (posted by mom)

This past week was unlike any other week of my mission. I have a new companion; he is great. He loves this work like no one else does. He is very good at inspiring other missionaries to do their best. He is also very smart. He is a Math Major at BYU. I know I can learn a lot from him in the coming months.

On Monday we were busy in the office and helped out with the returning missionaries' fireside.

Tuesday, we took the returning missionaries to the temple, the Taibei 101, and then to the airport. It was sad to see such amazing people and such amazing missionaries going home. They all left the mission stronger than they found it. Many of them I served with, and I am excited about their futures.

On Wednesday, we got caught up on things in the office, and spent a considerable amount of time cleaning up the apartment. President Bishop really wants us to be the example of cleanliness, so it was good that we cleaned up. It really does look a lot better.

Thursday we started exchanges. Exchanges are really fun. It is a great opportunity to learn from other missionaries, learn about the mission on the front line, and teach them methods that will help them be successful in all phases of the work.

Exchanges are usually Monday through Saturday, minus mission meetings or other events. It is a lot of fun, and it is also exhausting. Thursday, we contacted a lot and met with some recent converts. On of the missionaries in that companionship is in the Army; he invited me to do a work out with them. It was a really good work out--I'm still sore. :) On Friday, we had the special opportunity to pass someone on their baptismal interview. Then on Saturday, I had the opportunity to exchange with my past companion (Now Zone Leader). We had a blast and had a good talk about the mission focus and leadership.

Saturday was also fun because we had an opportunity to go with President Bishop to do a training of Ward mission leaders and ward missionaries. My companion and I presented a training on bearing testimony of The Book of Mormon. We feel that it was well accepted. President Bishop gave a good training.

Today we will attend church with the English branch. It will be an interesting experience. I had a chance to drive yesterday very briefly, but it felt pretty natural, I don't think driving will be a problem.

Thank you for your love, encouragement, emails, letters, and mostly, thank you for your prayers. I pray for you too!

Elder Spencer Harris