Sunday, May 8, 2011

Transfer, Zone Leader & Miracles (Posted by mom)

This move call I am being transferred to Shizhong and will be a Zone Leader. I'm excited and a little stressed about this new opportunity. I will be with Elder Summerhays, my MTC companion again. The sisters that came on with us from the MTC are now going home. It is an odd feeling to think that they are now ending their missions and will be flying home tomorrow. For me, I still feel like I have much to learn and much to do.

This last week in GangShan was a miracle week:

First, My companion, Elder Carter, contacted a man two areas previously, in Tanzi, who was sent as a referral to Gangshan. He was marked as no time in the referral system. When Elder Carter arrives, this man finally shows up in our phone to contact. So Elder Carter calls him, and the man remembers him. He invites him to church and he comes. We find out he lives near one of our recent converts. The lesson in the Gospel Principles class he attended was on repentance. I looked over at him and find him crying. He tells me, "I have such a peaceful, good feeling right now." He then tell me the story of his past life and how he just recently got out of prison. We talked about Jesus Christ and the miracle of forgiveness. Before this man left he told me he plans to place his life's burden on Christ forever.

Second, We stop by the store of a member referral and try to set up a time to meet with her but to no avail then she followed us out of her store. She asked if we could meet at a member's house, we said we thought that would be alright, but we don't know the member's schedule. At that same moment, the member pulled up on her scooter and we successfully set up a time.

Third, On our way to district meeting we got off at a wrong stop. I thought we had passed our destination. Amazingly I heard someone call out my name. It was a member I knew from a prevous area had served in Taiwan, he informed us we actually hadn't made it to our stop yet. He redirected us and saved us the mistake of going the wrong way.

Fourth, our recent converts, the Liu family, have a grandson who I've really wanted to share the gospel with for a long time. I think of his name often and wonder how we can work around his schedule. (He is really busy.) One time going to the chapel we came across his mom and set up a time to meet with them. We had a successful first meeting, and he was willing to set up a second time to meet.

"It's such a fine life, carrying the banner!"

Elder Spencer Harris