Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Temple, Baptism, and Hope (posted by mom)

Today we get to go to the temple! That is why I am here at 4:00 a.m. writing you this letter.

Brother Yang was baptized this past Saturday. It was such a good experience. He overcame smoking, and now he and his wife are both members. He is having a surgery today(something with his brain). We got special permission to visit him and his wife in the hospital yesterday. When we got there they had just finished talking to the doctor. They looked really sad. I guess it's pretty serious. I think God sent us to be there at that time to give them hope. The gospel brings so much hope. In my journal, I wrote, "We talked to them about the hope of the gospel." Then I remembered we didn't talk about hope at all, but that is what we saw in their eyes as we left the hospital. They had found hope and solace as we talked to them about the gospel!

This Saturday we have three more investigators that will be baptized. One is named Liang--he is one of the elect. One is Zhuang, I don't know what happened, but he really changed this past week. He became humble and his hesitancy about baptism has turned to excitement. The other is Xie(He is only 17 and needs parent permission -- He is not too sure he will get it. We are praying for him).

Well, time is short. The good news is... The gospel is true! It gives us hope and an eternal perspective. I love the gospel! Oh how we ought to live our lives according to the knowledge we've been given!

I love each and every one of you--300!! Elder Spencer Harris