Sunday, May 30, 2010

Baptism (posted by mom)

Brother Xie got baptised this week!!

It is exciting to be a missionary and to help prepare people for baptism. Just a few weeks ago, my companion bore a sweet testimony about baptism. Our investigator asked "After I'm baptized, will my life be any different." My companion said, "I promise you that the difference will be like darkness compared to the sunlight." When he said that, I thought to myself, Probably the only thing I remember from my baptism is that right after I was baptized, I told someone, "I don't feel any different." I felt that nothing had changed. In hind sight I realize I was wrong! In the MTC, a general authority told all the senior couples, "Thank God every day for the decisions you have made in light of the gospel." Also a member in Taiwan said something like this, "From the moment we were baptized until now, everything that has happened has been a miracle." I love these two quotes.

There is no way to know how our lives would be different without baptism, but I can promise it would be a lot worse. Our souls would still be in infant stage. Our understanding and eternal perspective would be so basic. Because we were baptized, our daily struggles and trials can be consecrated and become the miaracles that make up our life.

This is the only true in living chruch on the face of the whole earth. Through baptism we've put ourselves on the only path to salvation--that is our Savior's atonement. With our baptism, we've invested in a one-way ticket to Heavenly Father's holy presence. This is my testimony. I am grateful I have been called as a missionary to baptize for the salvation of souls.