Sunday, July 11, 2010

Elder Uchtdorf Visits (posted by mom)

President Uchtdorf came to our mission. I got to shake his hand. I also got to sing with a small group of elders. President Uchtdorf cried when he heard the song. He told the missionaries our life is a treasure hunt. Every once in a while he would say something like, find the treasure in learning the language. Or find the treasure in having a companion. I is interesting to think of life in terms of a treasure hunt. We have struggles, but there is always something to learn or gain from our experiences.

The two people scheduled to be baptized this week are not the ones we thought they would be. The first is a man we taught earlier who came back to church to find us. He has become very humble and really desires to be baptized. The other is an 11 year old boy who has a strong testimony of the truth and, by the grace of God, was lead in a round about way, to the missionaries and to baptism. He is reading the Book of Mormon. He lives near a family in our ward who are willing to bring him to church each week with them. This work is so joyful. I know that it is lead by God.

This past weekend, I found out a new convert in the ward is having a commandment issue. It is a sad thing. However, I know there is hope through the atonement of Christ.

I love you all. Thank you for your support. Elder Spencer Harris