Sunday, July 25, 2010

Life in Douliu - Q&As (Posted by mom)

Greetings from Douliu. The people here are great, the food is great, my companion is great, the apartment is great, the ward is great, the bishop is great, and the district and zone are great. The apartment is really nice. We live on the 13 floor. I have no idea how the ants got up to the 13th floor, but they did...haha. This is the battle that we are fighting right now.

Many people have asked me questions so I will try to answer some of them.

How do we spend our time on Sundays: We go to church, then we do missionary work. We eat at home (curry rice).

How do we get our hair cut: Haircuts cost about 3 dollars in Taiwan, so it is really convenient.

Is it rainy: Yes, it's rainy.

Do the members feed us: Members don't feed us that often. I think it is avoided because if members feed us they go all out on everything!

How do we spend our time: Most of our time is spent at appointments with investigators and less active members, and contacting new investigators at intersections.

Are the people nice: The people are really nice. It's great. A lot of people reject the missionaries, but 95% of the time it is done with a smile.

Do we keep our apartment clean: Our apartment is really clean! My companion and I do a good job keeping it clean.

The bishop here is great, his name is Bishop Shen. He knows the situation of all the recent converts, less-active members, and our investigators. In order to be baptized, a person must attend church 3 times and meet the bishopric, so all our investigators know the bishop and the bishop knows them. Most investigators get the priesthood the week after they are baptized. Baptismal meetings are set up and done completely by the ward and it is usually a member who baptizes them.

The work here is really great. It took me some time to get used to the area. In the big city, I would contact really quick because everyone is in a hurry. When I first got here, I was really quick contacting people and after I finished they would stand there like, "Is that all you are going to say?" People have a lot more time here to listen. We had a lot of investigators at church this week. 3-4 are looking really solid.

I'm loving this work. I'm learning a lot. I love you all. Elder Spencer Harris

No comments: