Monday, December 28, 2009

Seventh Week: Learning form the Apostles

This week we had Elder Anderson and Elder Perry of the Twelve come to speak to us. It was AWESOME! Elder Perry is like your next door neighbor, and his family is just like ours. After he spoke, he came down and shook hands. I was like 3 feet away from him. I also almost bumped into him in the cafeteria. I didn't even notice he was there until I almost ran into him--I bumped into his body guard though.

This affected me in a big way. All the apostles are so different. Elder Holland is so on fire and Elder Perry is so patient and longsuffering. I learned that becoming perfect doesn't mean we all become the same. Our personalities are unique, Heavenly Father gave each of us the talents and traits needed to fulfill his purposes/our missions in this life. If we give up that to become something we're not, then we've lost the point. Heavenly Father needs you and he needs me. We've been sent down to this earth to fulfill a mission consistant with our eternal nature and personality. Elder Anderson told us that our premortal existance had arrange events while in this life. Heavenly Father needs the best me to fulfill my purpose and no the best someone else. I think that's why it's important no to compare ourselves with others. Either we will become content at feeling like we are better; or will try to hard to be someone else; or don't try at all because we figure we can't do it. I think comparison is something I'm struggling with right now.

No comments: